I think that it is especially important at this sort of time when we are easily influenced by the media and society to take care of our mental health. It may sound like a cringey or cheesy concept to some but unfortunately there are many people who suffer from mental illnesses and even just teenagers who are simply messed up. I always felt like my life was just bad because of all that I went through but as I have become older I realise that sadly there are many kids even at our school who suffer in silence and I am not the only one. I feel like I have a responsibility to speak out for them and try to help because it is needed. Therefore I put together a list of truths about mental health.
- SOCIAL MEDIA DETOX – We often let the way we perceive other people influence the way we feel about ourselves. I advise you to only keep following the people who have a positive influence on you. It is okay to unfollow those who make you feel bad about yourself even if it is someone you know very well. And I also think that spending less time on social media and more time working on yourself will help you feel better.
- TAKE CARE OF YOUR PHYSICAL HEALTH – The things you put in your body go hand in hand with how you feel. If you work out and eat nutritious food, odds are that you are going to feel better. If you eat like crap, odds are you are going to feel like crap. But you should also listen to your body and if it tells you that right now, pizza is the best option then eat the Pizza.
- A GOOD OUTFIT GOES A LONG WAY – What I want to say is that the times when I wake up and I just don’t feel my best is when I put together my best outfits. It makes me feel better about myself. Don’t underestimate it. Try putting extra effort into your looks that day.
- BOOKS, SHOWS AND MUSIC – I swear by this. Watch some good shows. Read books and listen to some good music. It helps you with your metal health. FRIENDS helped me with my depression.
- SPA NIGHT – A good spa night, face mask, washing your hair, candles and so on can really make you feel better. I encourage to do that when you feel very bad.
- SELF LOVE – It isn’t selfish. It is needed. When you are more confident, you are happier. Truly. This is one of my main goals in 2019. At the end of the day you are the person who you are going to spend the rest of your life with. Love yourself unconditionally because you are the only one who can give you unconditional love. If you don’t love yourself, the fact that others do won’t fix it. It has to come from your own heart.
- STOP CARING WHAT PEOPLE THINK AND JUST BE YOURSELF – I bet you a million dollars that you actually do care very much about how people see you. But you shouldn’t really. Yes, I think it is cool when you achieve something great, you tell people but whether they love it or hate it or ignore it shouldn’t affect how you feel about yourself. There are certain things you love so keep doing them because it is your life and you are the only one who has to be happy or content with it.
- EVERYTHING IS TEMPORARY – If you are ever going through something bad, know that it is only temporary. I promise you that as time goes on, things will get better if you work on it. This too shall pass.
- TAKE THINGS ONE STEP AT A TIME – This is very much a tip for anxiety. I just try to focus on one thing at a time. You will go further if you just accomplish one thing after anotehr rather than try to do everything at once.
- DO THE THINGS YOU LOVE – I have realised that when you feel bad and you are not in a good place mentally, doing something that brings you joy helps a lot. I usually paint or write. I feel accomplished and I have created something unique so it makes me feel better.
I think that is all for now. I have decided that I am going to post Mental Health Mondays, then articles on Wednesday and Saturday and then the ED Recovery Diary on Sunday. I have many many articles and cutting off a day because of the ED diary will just make my articles pile up like crazy. Anyway, part two on how to take care of your physical health coming on Wednesday then. I also put a picture of Jessie Paege who inspired these MHM. I want to just stretch the fact that Mental Health is just as important as physical health because a bad mindset affects how you work, study, enjoy life and just how you live in general. It is a fact that when you have depression you are unmotivated, tired, sleep too little, too much, don’t really see the point in life and so on. And I want to help prevent that. I am also quite aware this was long as hell so just take care please. Have a nice day ❤